Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Going Greek


When I first went to college I had been looking at all of the possibilities for extra curricular activities. I thought about writing for the college newspaper, as I had done in high school, and I also considered joining the student government. However, going greek had never really crossed my mind as a definite for my choices. Sure, before going to Dickinson I had researched all of the greek organizations, looked at their websites, and even talked with a few of their members before leaving for college. I really had the stereotypical perception that fraternities were just beer chugging meat heads who had oodles of money. To a point, I suppose that aspect of greek life is a plausible one, but after hanging out with members of greek organizations I soon realized that they had something that was incredibly appealing to me. I had suffered a series of injuries that left me unable to play contact sports anymore, so playing football and lacrosse at Dickinson quickly faded and I was left with a feeling of emptiness and aloneness. I had always been a part of a "team" and not being able to be a part of something really bothered me. It wasn't that I felt like I needed to blend into the crowd, but I really have always been part of a group and been a leader in a group. Then I decided to bite the bullit and rush. I rushed during the spring of 2002 and I accepted a bid from Delta Sigma Phi.

After pledging and being initiated into the fraternity, I quickly realized that there was so much more to being greek than just the social aspect. We did philanthropies, many community service events, and of course we did the social events. A lot of people think that most greeks only do philanthropy events and community service events because we have to. To those people, I highly suggest you take a closer look. I am proud to say that during my tenure as an active member of Delta Sigma Phi we raised over $5,000 for the March of Dimes Foundation - March of Dimes helps premature babies - and to know that a prematurely born child is being helped because I, along with my brothers, spent an evening making pancakes for students.

A lot of people ask me why I went greek and what is so great about being in a "frat". Well, everything.

Not only did I make bonds with guys who have become my best friends, but I joined an organization composed of a group of guys from all walks of life. We accepted the traditions and carried the torch during our time and passed it off to the members who we selected and trained in the ways of our fraternity. The biggest reason I joined a fraternity is because being in a greek organization is to be part of something that expands much further than your immediate social surroundings. To be part of a greek organization means to be part of and have a unique bond with every member before us, every member after us, and every member in every other chapter of my fraternity across the entire United States of America. I can go to any other campus with a chapter of my fraternity and be accepted with open arms, without question, solely based on the fact that I am one of them because I am a Delta Sigma Phi. That to me is more cherishable and honorable than any other aspect of greek life. Sure, we drink, we party, we do stupid stuff, but the greatest part of it all is that I am a Delta Sigma Phi until the day I die. That is the greatest part of joining a greek organization.

So, to those who think that being greek means you drink inordinate amounts of alcohol and pay for your friends, I calmly say that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and it is best not to judge before knowing. A white man cannot know what it feels like to be a black man. A man cannot know what it is to be a woman. So, how can anyone who isn't greek know what it means to be greek? They can't. If you really want to know what it means to be greek, just ask. Don't judge, don't assume. Just ask.

1 Comments:

Blogger TouchofInnocense said...

Lucky, that was well put, now understand why I'm part of Alpha Phi Omega- for a lot of the same reasons, we don't get enough credit. Just stating, not blaming. Anyways, well put and I enjoy reading your stuff so don't stop. :0) -meggy

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home