Monday, November 07, 2005

Butt Pirates of Africa

So, in case some of you had not noticed the blazing headlines "Pirate Attacks" on CNN a few days ago I will go ahead and fill you in...

Apparently a cruise ship was heading from Egypt down to another area of southern Africa (why people would want to go to Africa in today's day-and-age beats the hell out of me, but...). Anyway, the cruise ship was off the coast of Somalia (a wonderful place to visit during spring I hear) and two heavily armed "pirate ships" decided to attack this cruise ship and plunder it for all its riches. These two "pirate ships" were armed with grenade launchers and assorted machine guns and were only 25 feet in length. I'm sorry, but that is really funny. Two 25-foot boats were going to take over a massive ocean-liner...possible...but stupid. According to CNN the captain attempted to "run one of the ships over" and then when that failed the cruise ship "out ran" the pirate vessels.

The idiocy of this event is by far one of the funnier circumstances I have witnessed in world security. Especially because when I think of a pirate I think of something like this:



Not this:



On a side note: There have been 24 pirate attacks off the coast of Somalia since March of 2005. What does this tell us? DONT FUCKING SAIL OFF THE COAST OF SOMALIA!!! Of course these people on the cruise ship probably had no idea about the likes of Black Beard wannabes making people walk the plank for their great grandmother's pearl necklace.

I understand if you don't find the humor in this, but look at it from my perspective. When I first read this I pictured a bunch of Somalians crusing around the Indian Ocean in a huge galley (because pirates used galleys) wearing eye patches and saying "RRRRRrrrrrr" a lot. I mean, come on, if you are going to be classified as a pirate you might as well dress the part.

I wonder if they celebrate and take the day off for "National Talk Like A Pirate Day"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home